Friday, October 23, 2009

Battlestar Galactica; The Plan

Battlestar Galactica is one of those series where great narrative structure goes hand in hand with amazing visual effects. Add a little drama and mystery, and we've got a nice recipy for a cult TV show that got great ratings.

I must however say, that the latest installment, The Plan, was quite a dissapointment for me. To many HOWs and not enough WHYs. Dean Stockwell performed the Cavil character(s) splendidly, and on the visual level, it will probably be a treat to most fans.

The series itself had quite a few narrative loops - none too crazy - well, depending on how you see it, I mean, I'd still like a better explanation for Starbucks important other that "divine intervention". But all in all, I personally did not need 90 minutes of filler-unimportant information to sweep the narrative better together. Sure, they made up things as they went along; but the structure was always clear in the series; it had happened before and it would happen again. The circle was meant ( or doomed ) to be completed in the end as it did.

So, all good intentions aside; is the Plan just a cash-cow for the Cult fans? I really can't see it as a stand-alone.

I'd love to see more Battlestar stuff and movies; but this one looked and felt too much like a marketing-machine to me..

For a review including spoilers, see the link above or copy-paste from here:

http://th3tvobsessed.blogspot.com/2009/10/review-battlestar-galactica-plan.html

No comments: